A lot of people believe that CBD is best when bought full-spectrum. These words are usually brandished on bottles of CBD, bragging about the full cannabinoid content that allows users to access the “entourage effect”. At the very least, products usually state that they are “broad-spectrum”, meaning that they contain all the cannabinoids and terpenes without the THC.
But what happens if you want to consume CBD and CBD alone?
Luckily, there is an option: CBD isolates. These are a little different to other CBD products you will be used to, but they have a lot of advantages. Many CBD manufacturers sell isolate products, so it is not difficult to come by them. If you are interested in purchasing and trying out CBD isolates for yourself, then you have come to the right place.
Here is an informative guide regarding all you need to know in relation to CBD isolates.
What are CBD Isolates?
Isolates are CBD products that have been processed and filtered until they contain nothing other than cannabidiol. People often want access to this non-psychoactive compound for health reasons, but they might be wary of other compounds that can be found within hemp and cannabis. As a result, manufacturers have produced CBD isolates.
Usually, isolates come in the form of crystalline powder. It looks a little bit like salt. You can also find CBD isolates in wax form, or sometimes shatter, named because it ‘shatters’ when handled.
One of the advantages of isolate products is that they are tasteless and odourless. As many consumers find the taste of CBD oil to be quite off-putting, isolates provide a solution.
Capturing the essence of CBD isolates is not easy, because they do not always come in the form of a powder. Sometimes, producers add these isolates into oils, gummies, or capsules to create CBD isolate products; in this article, we will simply be talking about the powder form.
How is CBD Isolate Made?
The first step in producing any CBD product is to extract the essential compounds from industrial hemp. After the hemp has been grown, cured, and dried, the plant matter goes through an extraction process. Most companies use supercritical CO2 extraction, which is regarded as the safest and highest-quality method. However, it involves a lot of expensive equipment, so some producers use other techniques such as ethanol extraction in order to bring the price down.
When all the cannabinoids have been extracted, CBD isolates require further purification. The process involves pulling the extract through a filtration machine using a high pressure. As the extract is pushed through another substance, smaller particles move through much faster than larger ones. The CBD reaches the bottom of the chamber first, leaving molecules like THC behind. This allows the CBD to be collected by itself without other plant compounds.
Sometimes, the process is repeated multiple times just to be sure. Then, the extract undergoes “winterisation”, in which it is frozen so that plant waxes and similar things can be broken off.
The resulting product is a white powder that is up to 99% pure CBD.
How to Use CBD Isolates
If you decide to purchase a pure CBD isolate powder, you might be wondering what on earth you are supposed to do with it. In fact, CBD isolate is one of the most versatile products out there, giving you a lot of options as to what you do with it.
- Take it sublingually: Just like a CBD oil, isolate can be taken sublingually by placing it directly under your tongue. Hold it there for around a minute before washing it down with water. This way, the CBD will be delivered to your bloodstream quickly. It is tasteless, too, so you don’t have to put up with the flavour of CBD oil.
- Dab it: If you have a wax, crumble or shatter, you can take your isolate by dabbing it. Dabbing involves heating the substance on something called a dab rig, turning it into vapour. Then, you can inhale it. It’s quite like vaping. This is one of the fastest and most effective ways to administer CBD, but you do have to purchase a dab rig and master the technique first. Plus, it’s not something you can carry around to take CBD on the go.
- Make your own CBD products: CBD isolates are good for producing your very own CBD products at home. The powder will dissolve easily into a carrier oil, or into beauty products, for example. With this, you can create a pure CBD product that is to your liking.
- Cook edibles: Isolates are ideal for making edibles. Since they are tasteless, they won’t affect the way that your recipe tastes. You can make brownies, gummies, or simple smoothies using CBD isolate.
CBD Isolates vs. Full-Spectrum Products
Why would you use a CBD isolate over a full-spectrum product? Many people often believe that CBD is better when taken as part of a full-spectrum product. This is because of the entourage effect.
Coined by Dr. Ethan Russo, this term refers to the synergistic interaction between different cannabinoids and terpenes. Taking multiple cannabinoids allows them to work together, in a sort of team effort, to increase the health-boosting properties of CBD oil.
This increased strength leads many to believe that full-spectrum products, or at least their broad-spectrum counterparts, are better for your health. However, this is not always true.
CBD is a personal experience and is different for everybody. Depending on your lifestyle and your values, you may find that full-spectrum products are simply not for you. As a result, you might want to try out a CBD isolate instead. Here are some of the benefits of CBD isolate compared to a full-spectrum product:
- Isolates are tasteless: If you hate the taste of hemp and/or CBD oil, then trying an isolate would not go amiss. You will find it to be a much more pleasant experience. Plus, you can also cook with CBD isolates without affecting the taste of your food.
- Isolates are potent: Compared with full-spectrum products, isolates are much more potent. Most contain around 99% pure CBD, which means you only need to use a very tiny amount at one time. However, this potency does contribute to a hefty price tag.
- Isolates are guaranteed to be THC-free: There are many reasons why people might want to avoid THC. Concern about psycho-activity, workplace drug tests, and a multitude of other reasons might put you off THC. Sadly, many CBD products contain trace amounts of THC. CBD isolates are the way to get around this – they are guaranteed to be free to THC after the filtration process.
There are, of course, some drawbacks to isolates. One of these is that they tend to be more expensive. That being said, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide what product is best for you.
Where to Buy CBD Isolates in the UK
There are plenty of online retailers that stock CBD isolates in the UK. It’s just a matter of doing your research. But here are our three personal favourites:
1. Ice Head Shop 10g CBD Isolate 99% Pure
Packaged in an adorable container which looks like sherbet Dip Dab, this CBD isolate contains 99% pure CBD crystals. The brand says that it is ideal for dabbing and making your own CBD products at home. The CBD used to make the product is CO2-extracted and free of heavy metals, pesticides, and herbicides, as confirmed by the lab reports. It is imported from the USA.
Ice Head Shop offer a range of sizes, from 0.25g containing 250mg of CBD for £5.59, all the way up to 10g containing 1000mg of CBD for £175.99. The brand has a price guarantee, stating that they will beat the price of any other UK CBD isolate of the same quality by 5%. Talk about a bargain!
2. CBD Life UK CBD Isolate 99%
The CBD Life UK is a pretty standard CBD isolate powder. This brand is reliable and trustworthy, using CO2 extraction to produce its CBD products. The crystals in this isolate have been ground into a fine powder for ease of use, but can be recrystallized if necessary. CBD Life UK also offers a terpsolate if that is your preference.
Once again, there are many options for this isolate, with the price ranging between £17.50 and £449.95.
3. Honest CBD Co. CBD Isolate Crystals 99+%
This organic CBD isolate is made using organically grown hemp which is then put through a CO2 extraction process. Once again, the pure CBD crystals are ground into a fine powder. This particular isolate is very highly reviewed by consumers, and comes at a reasonable price.
The smallest tub, containing 250mg, costs £6.99. The price stretches up to £179.99 for the 10,000mg tub, with an array of options in between.
Final Thoughts on CBD Isolates
CBD isolates are perfect for people trying to stay away from THC. They offer a simple and easy-to-use format, with a variety of methods of consumption. They might not be for everyone, but they certainly offer the perfect way to use CBD for many people.
Large quantities of CBD isolate can be very expensive, but it often works out cheaper to bulk buy. If you can afford it, we recommend buying the stronger varieties.
There are plenty of CBD manufacturers in the UK stocking CBD isolate, so you will easily be able to find a product to your liking online.