If you’ve been getting involved with the world of CBD lately, you might have come across some edibles. It’s likely that you started out with CBD oils, but maybe you hate the taste of them and thought you’d search for some tasty treats instead. But we’ll bet that you found those high-strength gummy bears to be much too expensive!
That’s the great thing about edibles, though: You can make your own at home! All you need is your regular old CBD oil, and you can cook up some marvellous creations in your very own kitchen. What’s more, you can deviate away from the sweet desserts that are sold online and make some delicious, savoury CBD meals.
We have compiled a list of 5 CBD recipes you simply must try, including 3 main courses featuring all different flavours, and 2 desserts to satisfy your sweet tooth. So without further ado, let’s get on with the first recipe!
Note, however, that some of these recipes include CBD isolates rather than oil, so make sure you read the ingredients list before you start cooking. Once you get good at it, you can probably cook it however you want.
1. Grilled Apricot, Watermelon & Arugula CBD Salad
Summer’s hot weather often calls for a refreshing salad, and what better time to buy fresh produce! But if winter is getting you down, add some of the tropics back into your life with this recipe. A little secret to making a wonderful salad that pops is to include fruit – most people don’t think to pop some strawberries in their spinach, but trust us, it tastes fantastic. In this recipe, we have included watermelon and apricots to add a little twist to your salad.
This recipe is not only quick and easy to make, but it’s also full of nutrients and great for your health.
Serving size: 4
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups arugula
- ½ medium watermelon – cut into cubes
- 2-3 small apricots
- ¼ red onion
- 2 tablespoons Feta cheese
- A handful of chopped mint
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup local wildflower honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25g CBD isolate
- Sea salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Preheat a grill (or grill pan) to medium heat. Meanwhile, rinse the apricots and slice them into smaller pieces. Put the slices on a skewer and brush lightly with olive oil before placing them on the grill and cooking for 1-2 minutes per side. At this state, you want to caramelise the apricot slices but not cook them all the way through. Once this occurs, set them aside.
- Cut the watermelon, mint, and onion. Discard the rind and seeds, and place the watermelon cubes into a medium bowl and set aside. The onion should be cut into long, thin pieces, and the mint should be finely chopped, with these placed in a separate bowl to the watermelons.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil, and CBD isolate. Mix until it is all combined well, then season with salt and pepper. This makes a vinaigrette for you to dress the salad.
- Finally, in a salad bowl, add the arugula, mint, and red onion. Add the salad dressing and toss well. Plate out the salad onto four plates, top with watermelon and grilled apricots and a sprinkle of feta cheese – enjoy!
You may find that you have extra salad dressing. This can be stored in an air-tight container and it will preserve for a few days to be used again.
As you can see, this salad recipe is extremely simple, but it will probably impress all your friends!
2. CBD Pesto Pasta with Spicy Shrimp
If you like foods with a bit of a kick, then this dish is for you! Get all the goodness you need from a pasta salad topped with spicy seafood, and of course containing some CBD too. Of course, when you know how to make the CBD pesto, you can incorporate it into other dishes of your choosing, but this is just a little something to get you started. Grab your ingredients and get cooking!
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ½ cup parsley
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon CBD oil (or 4ml per serving)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 8 ounces Gigli pasta – uncooked
- 1 lb fresh shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 1 lb asparagus – cut into 2inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- To make the pesto, rinse off the spinach and place it in a food processor along with the basil, parsley, ½ a cup of cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, 2 tsp of lemon juice, parmesan cheese, garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, CBD oil, and a dash of salt and pepper. Blend until all the ingredients make a smooth pesto sauce.
- Scoop the pesto out of the food processor into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- Next, boil water over a high need. Add the Gigli pasta and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Then, in a saucepan, heat the butter and another 2 tbsp of olive oil over a medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Dip both sides of the shrump into a blend of red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Depending on your spice preferences, you can completely coat the shrimp or simply add a sprinkling. Then, add the shrimp to the heated pan along with some lemon juice and cook until they turn pink on both sides.
- When the shrimp is cooked, add the pasta and asparagus to the pan, sautéing it all together briefly.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the pesto. You will probably need about 6-8 tablespoons. Throw in some halved cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, and sprinkle some parmesan on top.
- Serve and enjoy.
This is a bit more complicated than the first recipe, but it’s absolutely worth it for the delicious flavour.
3. CBD Tacos and Guac
Mexican food is usually a taste sensation, and these tacos with CBD guacamole are no exception. Tacos are a great food option for a dinner party or simply having friends over – just lay out a spread of different fillings and dips and let everybody dig in! That’s why we thought this recipe was an essential in our list, because it’s a great food to socialise with and create an excuse to get your friends over.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
- 3 avocados – peeled and pitted
- 1 lime – juiced
- ½ cup onion – diced
- 1 small red onion – minced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro – chopped
- 2 tomatoes – diced
- CBD oil
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- Taco shells
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- To make the guacamole, mash together the avocados in a bowl until it smooths out. Add the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon of CBD oil, and mix it all together thoroughly. Then, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Next, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the minced red onion and sauté.
- Add the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go. Stir until it is cooked through.
- Add the cumin, oregano, chili and paprika, as well as however much CBD oil you deem necessary for your usual dose. Stir until it is all mixed in well. If you prefer spicier food, you can always add more chili.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat up the taco shells, dish out the CBD guacamole, and get some plates ready to dig in!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can mix it up how you like. If you make tacos regularly, you can add CBD oil in during your usual cooking process. Furthermore, you can skip adding CBD to the taco meat and instead just use it in the guacamole. And you can even try making CBD salsa or sour cream using a similar technique. It’s all open to experimentation!
4. CBD Carrot Cake
Onto the sweet treats now, and we think that this CBD carrot cake is absolutely delicious. CBD edibles sold online often feature things that you can portion better, such as chocolate that contains a certain amount of CBD per square, or gummy bears that contain so many milligrams per bear. That’s why desserts work so well – you can do the maths to figure out how much CBD you’re getting in each bite. This carrot cake can be cut into squares or slices containing a certain amount of CBD per cut, meaning you can simply eat a piece each day rather than using sublingual drops.
Preparation time: 90 minutes
- 9” x 13” cake pan – greased
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil mixed with CBD oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrot – shredded
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup butter – softened
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175˚C.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Set aside for now.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and CBD oil mixture, sugar and 2 tsp of the vanilla extract. Mix it well. Then add the flour mixture to the oil mixture and stir it all together.
- Add the shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts and raisins and mix in thoroughly throughout the mixture.
- Pour all the batter into a cake pan and bake for one hour. You can check whether it is done by poking it with a toothpick – if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Take the cake out of the oven after 1 hour and allow it to cool. While this is happening, combine the softened butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cake with this icing. Store in a refrigerator until it is time to serve.
Depending on how much CBD oil you use and how many slices you cut the cake into, you can figure out how much cannabidiol is contained in each slice. This makes it a great way to portion your CBD intake when compared to savoury meals.
5. CBD Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies are a classic edible treat, and they’re very easy to bake! They’re very quick and simple, meaning that you could bake them on the weekly if you’d prefer to eat your CBD than take it sublingually. They don’t use too many ingredients, either, which is all part of their cooking appeal.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter – softened
- 0.5 oz CBD oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 175˚C.
- Place the softened butter, CBD oil, brown sugar and white sugar into a bowl, and cream until smooth. Then, beat in the eggs one at a time and gently stir in the vanilla extract.
- Dissolve the baking soda in hot water and add it to the batter along with the salt.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the nuts if you want them, and add the flour as well.
- Dollop large spoonfuls of the mixture onto greased baking trays, then bake for around 10 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
Cookies are always the perfect treat when you fancy a dessert, and now you can add CBD! You can make them as small as large as you want, and you can really add any kind of chunks you desire – try fudge instead of chocolate for a real sweet treat.
The Best CBD Recipes?
The possibilities are endless when it comes to cooking with CBD, and as you can see it’s actually quite easy to incorporate it into your foods. You can start out by trying these 5 amazing recipes before progressing onto making your own cannabidiol creations.
We haven’t included exact CBD dosages in these recipes, because really that will vary depending on how much you want to take each day. You get to decide how much CBD to include based on the strength of the oil you own. That’s another great thing about cooking with CBD – it’s all pretty flexible based on your own needs and desires.