Getting into the world of CBD can be confusing, namely because there are so many different products out there! There are so many CBD products on the market, with more emerging frequently. Where do you even start?!
Likely, you might have heard of CBD oils or tinctures, but perhaps you’re not even entirely sure what these are or where they come from either. Well, in this article we will explain the various types of CBD products, what they are, how they are made, and how they differ from one another.
So, if you want to dip your toe in the CBD pool but aren’t sure where to begin, we’ve got you covered!
What are CBD oils and tinctures
CBD oil refers to oils infused with cannabidiol (CBD) which has been extracted from industrial hemp. It is perhaps the most popular method of taking CBD, meaning that there is a vast number of CBD oil products out there to buy.
How is CBD oil made?
To make CBD oil, the cannabidiol is extracted from industrial hemp, usually via CO2 extraction as this is the safest and most effective method. You should always find CBD products which use this method of extraction wherever possible. Then, the CBD is combined with an oil-based compound to produce the CBD-infused product.
How do you take it?
CBD oils are usually taken sublingually. This means that you place a few drops under your tongue and hold the liquid there for around 90 seconds before swallowing. The CBD is absorbed into your bloodstream relatively fast through this method, meaning you get the health benefits of CBD pretty quickly. However, some people add a few drops to their food in order to take CBD oil, though this does not enter your bloodstream as fast.
Who would use CBD oil?
Being so easy to use means that oils can be used by anyone! Experienced CBD users and newbies alike can use these oils without difficulty, making them an extremely accessible product.
- Sublingual oils are amazingly easy to take, making them a simple addition to your daily routine.
- It’s quite easy to know how much CBD you’re getting in each drop, as the label should specify this, and the dropper that comes with the bottle allows you to portion properly.
- The oils are very natural because they rarely contain other ingredients.
- The CBD is absorbed quite quickly when it is taken sublingually.
- This product is great for newcomers to CBD, as so many products out there means you can select a low strength and work your way up until you find what works for you.
- CBD oil can sometimes be confused with hempseed oil, and some products seem to combine both which can reduce the effects.
- Some users strongly dislike the taste of CBD oil, as it can be quite an earthy, strong flavour.
What are CBD capsules
Capsules are a CBD product that is gaining popularity. These consist of what looks like a traditional pharmaceutical pill with liquid inside. This liquid is actually just CBD oil, but it is now enclosed in a capsule for extra convenience.
How are CBD capsules made?
CBD oil is produced in the same way as usual – combining CBD extracted using CO2 with an oil – before this liquid is placed inside a capsule. We won’t get into the ins and outs of how this is done, because different manufacturers use different techniques. However, we will say that it is important to find a capsule that doesn’t pull apart in the middle. Not only does this increase the risk of leaking, but it also means that the manufacturing is not the best and it is probably a subpar product.
How do you take them?
Just like any other pill, CBD capsules are taken by swallowing one with a glass of water. Yes, it’s that simple!
Who would use CBD capsules?
Again, CBD capsules can be taken by anyone. They are extremely easy to use, making them accessible for everyone. That said, if you are on the CBD train already and recommending this supplement to someone of the older generation, then capsules might be the way to go. Since they so closely resemble traditional pharmaceuticals, they are quite popular among older people who are used to this kind of medicines or supplements.
- Capsules are very easy to use and simple to slip into your daily routine.
- Dosage is very safe and easy, because the correct dosage is already contained within the capsule.
- The fact that they contain CBD oil means they have similar benefits, such as containing very few other ingredients.
- Those who dislike the taste of CBD oil can switch to capsules to avoid this flavour.
- Capsules are not yet as readily available as oils, meaning that you may struggle to find the same variety of different strengths.
- CBD takes longer to absorb when ingested in this way.
What are CBD vaping cartridges
Vaping gained popularity as a means to quit smoking. When smoking cigarettes, the process of combustion creates toxic, carcinogenic chemicals that are very bad for human health. But, since people still wanted a nicotine hit without the high risks associated with smoking, the vaporiser rose to fame. And did you know that now you can vape CBD as well? Some CBD companies have begun to produce CBD-infused cartridges rather than nicotine ones, so that you can now vape the compound in the same way you would use an e-cigarette!
How are vaping cartridges made?
Essentially, these vape-able CBD cartridges are very similar to CBD oils. They aren’t exactly the same, however, so don’t go loading your CBD oil into a vape pen! But the extraction method of drawing CBD from industrial hemp is the same, it’s just that some of the ingredients are a little different. Furthermore, vaping is often preferred when other flavours are involved, so there are more likely to be additives.
How do you take them?
CBD vaping cartridges can be vaped from an e-cigarette or another form of vaporiser. There are specialised ones out there specifically for vaping CBD, so you can invest in these if you so choose. CBD oil vaporises at around 200℃, making it perfect for use in an e-cigarette.
The method of vaping depends on your specific device, but the premise is the same: switch on your vaporiser, turn the CBD liquid into vapor, and inhale the clouds! Pretty simple, right?
Who would use CBD vaping cartridges?
Although vaping is not all that difficult, it is probably not the preferred option for everyone. People who already vape are most likely to favour this method of getting their CBD, as they will already have the requisite tools and know-how. Furthermore, it is not the easiest to add to your daily routine since it is more of an activity. We suggest this technique to experienced vapers since it is probably more enjoyable in this case.
- There are a variety of oils and devices out there, allowing you to try different strengths.
- This method is a lot tastier than other ways of consuming CBD.
- CBD is absorbed quite quickly when it is inhaled.
- E-cigarettes or vaporisers can be quite expensive – this method can be quite an investment!
- Although it is quite simple, this is not the preferred technique for everyone. It just might not be your thing.
- Although you can buy cartridges in different strengths, you can’t accurately dose how much CBD you’re taking with each vaping session.
What are Topical CBD lotions
With the CBD industry now booming, companies are getting creative. Now, you can get your hands on CBD-infused lotions and balms that you can apply directly to your skin.
How are topical CBD lotions made?
Once again, the CBD is extracted from industrial hemp via a method such as CO2 extraction. Then, this CBD is added to various beauty products through a variety of different means, depending on the specific product and company. If you want to know exactly how your product has been made, it’s best to hunt through the manufacturer’s FAQ page or reach out to them, because there is such a wide range of products out there that it’s impossible to give just one answer.
How do you use them?
Another great one for your daily routine, topical creams are very easy to use. All you have to do is rub a little bit of the lotion onto your skin, and the CBD will be absorbed through all the layers until it reaches your bloodstream.
Who would use topical CBD lotions?
Calling all beauty queens! As CBD is starting to break into the health and beauty market, you can invest in some CBD-infused products such as lotions and balms to add directly into your daily skincare routine. If you want to get into CBD and are someone who has a whole shelf of moisturisers and beauty products, then this could be the ideal method for you!
- These creams are very easy to incorporate into your daily routine – simply massage some lotion into your skin every morning.
- Since this option is growing in popularity, there is quite a range of products available nowadays.
- It is not very easy to dose, as there is no way to tell how much CBD is in each dollop of lotion.
- The CBD is slow to absorb and you may not actually retain as much of the CBD as you would with other methods.
What are CBD edibles
Edibles are a pretty popular way of consuming CBD. I mean… Combining delicious food with the goodness of CBD? Who wouldn’t love it?! You can buy a pretty large array of CBD-infused goodies online now, but you can also make your own, which is why we think CBD edibles are such a great option.
How are CBD edibles made?
This is quite a tricky question to answer. There are a lot of different types of edibles out there, and all of them are made in a slightly different way. So again, it’s better to investigate the company itself. But, if you make edibles at home, then you’ll probably be using CBD oil in your food, meaning that it is made in much the same way, only with a few extra steps. There are loads of recipes on the internet detailing how to make CBD-infused food, so if your curiosity is piqued you can always check them out.
How do you use them?
This is probably very self-explanatory: You eat them! You have to be careful, though, because sometimes they taste so good that you just can’t get enough! Exercising a little self-control is quite important.
Who would use CBD edibles?
These are a great option for absolutely anyone, because everybody loves food! Furthermore, with so many different kinds of food being used as a means of getting CBD, there really is something out there for everyone. As mentioned, you can actually make your own CBD edibles, so if you are a budding or even skilled chef, this could be a great option for you.
- A delicious, fun way of getting your CBD.
- You can even make your own at home!
- Some edibles can be easy to portion and dose the CBD – for example, some companies selling CBD gummy bears will tell you how much CBD you are getting per bear.
- There is a great variety of options out there.
- The edibles sold online can be very expensive.
- Certain edibles (such as chocolate) are not as healthy and may contain lots of additives.
- If you make your own edibles at home, such as a tray of brownies, it can be hard to tell exactly how much CBD you are getting per portion.
- The CBD takes longer to absorb when ingested.
Concluding The Different Types of CBD Products
With so many CBD products available, you will definitely be able to find something that is right for you. If you are a huge foodie, then edibles might be the way to go; if you already vape, then why not try CBD cartridges? And of course, there are some options that would suit anybody, such as CBD oils or capsules.
We recommend using CBD oils if you are completely new to this world, since you can start with a low dose of cannabidiol and work your way up to higher strengths later on. However, the choice is completely up to you!
Hopefully, you understand a little more now about all the CBD products available to you, and you can make a safe and informed decision about which products would be the best for your lifestyle.