CBD is growing in popularity in the UK, and more and more products are hitting high street shelves. With a myriad of CBD-derived products also available to buy online, it’s no surprise that people are getting involved with CBD.
However, since CBD is a cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant, a lot of people have questions when it comes to the legal status of different products. In this article, we will take a look at CBD gummies and whether they are legal or not.
What are CBD Gummies?
With a lot of people finding that they don’t like the taste of CBD oil, it makes sense that companies are selling sweet treats that are as appetising as they are good for you. While you can make CBD edibles by dropping your CBD oil into pretty much any meal, companies usually sell flavoured desserts and sweets because they make it extremely easy to portion your CBD.
You can purchase a tub of gummies that contains 25 mg of CBD per individual gummy bear, for example, so you know that eating one gummy will give you that much CBD.
For the less initiated, CBD (cannabidiol) is a chemical compound from the cannabis plant which is becoming renowned as a health supplement. Taking it is essentially way to give your body a little boost and help it to function properly.
How to Consume CBD Gummies
CBD gummies are insanely easy to take. All you need to do is pop a gummy in your mouth, chew, and swallow.
The CBD travels through your system and enters the bloodstream when it is broken down by the liver. While this takes effect more slowly than sublingual oils, it’s still a very effective way to get CBD into your system.
The ease of use makes them ideal for a variety of people, since you can take your required dose by eating one or two gummy bears.
Pros and Cons of CBD Gummies
There are pros and cons to every CBD product, so you need to be aware of them and take them into consideration when deciding which one will suit you most. Here are the benefits and drawbacks for CBD gummies:
- They taste delicious, which gives them a big plus over products like CBD oil that have a very acquired taste.
- Dosage is very simple when using gummies, as you can just take one containing a pre-measured dose of the right amount of CBD.
- Ingesting CBD through edibles provides a decent amount of bioavailability, meaning the CBD remains just as potent as in an oil.
- Just as is the case with CBD oil, companies should go through all the same procedures and testing, making gummies perfectly safe to take.
- The growing popularity of CBD means that more and more products are becoming available; different flavours and different strengths!
- If you’re wanting to give a low dose of CBD to children, CBD gummies mask the taste of CBD and are a great way to get them into it.
- Convenience means that they can be enjoyed on the go, in a format that is completely discreet.
- Ease of use and convenience means that virtually anybody can use CBD gummies.
- They taste so good that it’s hard to eat just one!
- When consuming CBD through edibles, they are absorbed into the blood much slower than by using a sublingual oil.
- While CBD oils are very natural, gummies need to go additional processing and may contain additives like flavourings and colourings.
- Some people who have food allergies or those who can’t eat things like gelatine and gluten may not be able to consume CBD gummies.
- The extra processing involved can make CBD gummies quite expensive.
Are there any side effects?
According to the World Health Organisation, CBD is generally well-tolerated in humans and does not have a potential for addiction.
Furthermore, studies so far (as published in the WHO report) suggest that side effects are more or less limited to minor inconveniences such as a dry mouth and drowsiness, with some consumers experiencing nausea and diarrhoea. However, none of these are adverse and therefore it is considered safe to take CBD.
Since gummies will always list the ingredients, you can check the label to see if you will have an allergic reaction to any of the products used – this is the thing most likely to cause side effects.
Are CBD Gummies Legal in the UK?
CBD is a legal substance in the UK. However, it does come from the cannabis plant, which is illegal – this is where things get a little tricky. There are actually different types of the cannabis plant, including marijuana and hemp. While marijuana is strictly prohibited, hemp is legal to grow under license and therefore can be used in numerous products for sale.
The reason for this difference in classification is that hemp contains less than 0.3 % THC by dry weight, while marijuana can contain up to 30%. THC is the compound that gets consumers high, which is why it is considered illegal.
By using hemp to create products, UK CBD sellers can ensure that their CBD gummies contain a maximum of 0.2% THC – this is the legal limit here, so as long as companies abide by this, the products are legal.
You should never buy CBD products from abroad, as you likely won’t get them into the country. Furthermore, any seller you buy from should conduct third-party lab testing to verify that the cannabinoid content is, in fact, below this maximum allowed limit.
In short, as long as there is less than 0.2% THC in the gummies, they are perfectly legal!
Can I Make CBD Gummies Myself?
It is possible to make your own CBD gummies if you buy CBD oil. Again, this is perfectly legal to do, just as long as the CBD oil you buy is within the UK guidelines.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of any fruit juice
- ½ cup gelatine
- 24 drops of CBD oil – you can choose the strength based on what works for you
- 1 teaspoon of sweetener (you can use honey)
- Moulds to make the gummies
- Mix the fruit juice with the sweetener and warm the mixture together in a saucepan until it begins to simmer.
- Remove the liquid from the heat and whisk in the gelatine.
- Add in the CBD oil and do a final stir to mix it in. Ensure all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Pour the mixture into the moulds and refrigerate until they become firm.
- Pop the gummies out of the moulds, and you’re done!
It’s clearly quite easy to do this, but it’s just as simple to buy gummies from an online CBD shop or at a health food store. It is essential to ensure that you mix in the CBD oil fully, to best make sure that there is an even distribution of CBD in each gummy.
Final Thoughts on CBD Gummies
CBD gummies are a great way for people to get their daily dose of CBD. They’re tasty, discreet, convenient, and easy to dose. You can even make your own CBD gummies at home!
In answer to the title question, CBD gummies are perfectly legal as long as they are made from hemp and adhere to the rule of a maximum 0.2% THC. When buying CBD gummies (or oil), you should check for third-party lab tests to verify that this is the case.